Tender Mercies
When negative, self-pitying, fearful thoughts knock on the door of my mind and seek admittance, I have a plan. I can't wish them away, or stick my fingers in my ears, or deny that they are there. That won't work. Instead, I will use a spiritual chemotherapy against them. I will target them for destruction by directing the power of praise right at the core of them. I have formulated an agressive, overpowering spiritual cocktail of truth, praise, peace, and thanksgiving.
"Bless the LORD, O my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle's" (Psalm 103:1-5)
I am crowned with tender mercies... such as:
For 26 years I have had a life partner who encourages me to follow my vision, and who rejoices with me in my successes and spurs me on in my disappointments. I have never had to hold myself back or deny my abilities in order to protect a fragile ego. Because of Wayne, I could be fully me.
We have three grown sons whose character is formed and solid. We are comforted to know that they are strong and that their faith is real.
We see daily the provision made for us before we knew that we would need it. For example, our middle son, Kennedy, a recent Baylor graduate, had planned several months ago to move home for a while and save on expenses while he pursues some opportunities. He arrived home on the night before we received Wayne's diagnosis. We have Kennedy at home to help us just when we need him.
We have a lifetime collection of friends to stand beside us.
We have extended families who give us strength and support.
I have a career that leaves me in charge of my own schedule.
I had an office away from home for 15 years, but after our youngest left for college, I moved my office home. How much easier that makes these coming days!
I have an assistant, Terry Trieu, who is the most competent and responsible person on earth and whom I can count on completely. She knows how to run my daily business better than I do!
We are, indeed, crowned with tender mercies, of which this list is but a shadow.
Jennifer Kennedy Dean
"Bless the LORD, O my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle's" (Psalm 103:1-5)
I am crowned with tender mercies... such as:
For 26 years I have had a life partner who encourages me to follow my vision, and who rejoices with me in my successes and spurs me on in my disappointments. I have never had to hold myself back or deny my abilities in order to protect a fragile ego. Because of Wayne, I could be fully me.
We have three grown sons whose character is formed and solid. We are comforted to know that they are strong and that their faith is real.
We see daily the provision made for us before we knew that we would need it. For example, our middle son, Kennedy, a recent Baylor graduate, had planned several months ago to move home for a while and save on expenses while he pursues some opportunities. He arrived home on the night before we received Wayne's diagnosis. We have Kennedy at home to help us just when we need him.
We have a lifetime collection of friends to stand beside us.
We have extended families who give us strength and support.
I have a career that leaves me in charge of my own schedule.
I had an office away from home for 15 years, but after our youngest left for college, I moved my office home. How much easier that makes these coming days!
I have an assistant, Terry Trieu, who is the most competent and responsible person on earth and whom I can count on completely. She knows how to run my daily business better than I do!
We are, indeed, crowned with tender mercies, of which this list is but a shadow.
Jennifer Kennedy Dean


10 Comments:
Dear Jennifer, Wayne & boys,
How blessed you are today to have God's Word as an anchor. Seeing God's hand as you look back over 26 years of being totally yourself, Jennifer, a beloved wife, mom and servant of Jesus. Blessings indeed. I was thinking that the only time I met Wayne was at your wedding. I am glad we moved back in each other's lives a few years ago so that my family has the priviledge of praying with and for yours.
Love,
Jennifer (Parker) James
Richard Kruger says- your commentary touched my heart in a special way. With that said how is Wayne? I assume he made it home. Did they leave a piece of his skull off? Let us know how he's doing.
Wayne,
I remember the time (actually multiple times) I would come home from a hard day of middle school and go over to your house with Stinson and Matt Ponzer to play WWF video games. Then when you would come home and take us out to get frozen strawberry yogurt at Soft Serve Depot. I loved that stuff. It always brightened my day to see you. I loved when you would come into Hy-Vee and I was working. It made my day just that much better. Thanks for being who you are. You are one of a kind, and I will miss you tremendously. You have touched my heart and I will never forget that.
Love,
Jon Terry
Dear Wayne, Jennifer and sons,
We tenderly hold you in our arms and pray sweet blessing over your days. We rush to help Jesus comfort and succor you. We keep telling our friend, our brother, our God how blessed we are by your presence. ...Alas, we have only met Jennifer at a conference in Georgia...but we know you,Wayne, by your wife's presence and words we know you and we love you.
Jan and Ernest Taylor
Morning coffee partners who are miles away physically but in your room spiritually.
Dear Jennifer,
I've been blessed to sit under your ministry at the Prayerforce in Fresno and several times at Arcade Church in Sacto.
I am so touched by the way you and Wayne are living out what you have taught and written... viewing this trial from God's perspective. You are a blessing to me and your life speaks volumes. May God continue to shine His light in this situation and surround you with His unfailing love and peace. You, Wayne, and your family are in our prayers.
love,
bev ginn
Jennifer - your heart moves my heart like no other - you challenge me to be a better wife and mother and to trust my little details that seem so HUGE to my God who is HUGER than any problem I have. I have learned to trust better because I know you and you are in my life. I thank God for your witness and your clinging to Him - you are again teaching me. Heart Hugs, Jeanne Parrott
Dear Jennie, Wayne, Brantley, Kennedy and Stinson, Its Thurs. afternoon and I keep looking at my watch wondering if dear Stinson is home yet to see his wonderful family. Just talked to Alma and she said you were being moved to a room, thank goodness then you can have private time with Stinson. The article in paper today was so wonderful, we never knew how many lives you have touched by being a Dean in walk of your life. I'm still trying very hard to be strong, some days I think I have made progress for not crying for a few hours, then I use my brain and think about you and your family and our entire DEAN group and the flood starts again. Last night as David wrote we all had dinner and celebrate, J & J 11th and my 67th, I really needed that lift!!!! The grands also know granma cries alot but they said they don't like my sad tears, they all know about you, they wasnted me to cry some haplpy tears!!!! I did alot of those too! Always remember you all are in our prayers all the time and we are already thinking ahead for a a quick visit with all grandkids, just waiting for you to get settled at home once again. Give each other hugs and kisses. I'll love you forever and alwaysxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo your sister and chuck
Wayne and Jennifer: Last evening as I pondered your reports, I was at a loss for the "right comments" so I just remained "silent" and prayed instead. Today, your remarks are heartening to me. I want Wayne to remember the earlier days when my heart was touched with your funding and employment needs and how I much I believed in you both. Prayers for success in ministering have surely been answered many times over, and I KNOW, prayers are being answered now. I'm glad that Laura was able to go by and visit with the Kennedys a few days ago. I love them as well and been privileged to pray with them as you know. To the sons, be strong, God is able. Friend in Texas . Frank Denton
I feel so close and yet so far away today. I love you so much Jeni. You are not just my sister, you're my best friend. I long to be there. I long to just hug you and take away your pain. Brantley, Kennedy and Stinson...you are my heart. I am so proud of the men you have become. You serve as witnesses to the legacy of prayer. Wayne, you are not just my beloved brother-in-law. You are my frined. You and I share so many of the same quirky personality traits. My memories of times and conversations we have shared are so vivid and make me smile and laugh! I love you so much. Thank you for taking care of my sister. Supporting her in her ministry. Delighting in her. Delighting, not only in your own children but in Amy and all of your nieces and nephews.
You and Jeni and the boys have given God a stage on which to demonstrate His abundant mercy and grace. A perfectly orchestrated symphony of timing and provision ...of comfort and protection....of peace that passes understanding.
Scott, Amy and I love and cherish you all. Pris
Dear Wayne, Jenny, and sons three:
This Sunday morning at FBC Springfield I will be singing these words written by a friend. As I rehearse them this week my thoughts are often directed to you:
"In God's time, prayers are answered; in God's time human hearts are healed. In God's time there is comfort, there is peace, there is rest. In God's time, there are trials; in God's time, threre are hopes and dreams, but in time, by His mercy, there is love, there is joy, there is life."
Barbara and I continue to bring your names before the Father's throne of grace. We love you.
Steve and Barbara
Post a Comment
<< Home