Friday, October 28, 2005

October 28 update

Wayne has been moved out of ICU. He is recovering from the surgery itself with no pain and no complications. Last night he slept soundly all night long, which he has not done before. Kennedy stayed with him through the night last night, just to give him a sense of assurance. We will be able to take turns spending the nights with him now that he is out of ICU.

It seems to me that the symptoms that his brain mass have been causing have not been relieved and that more symptoms are occurring. He is still very dizzy and disoriented physically. The mass is in a part of the brain that helps the body locate itself in space, so he has no sense of balance. He has tunnel vision-- he has lost all peripheral vision in both eyes. His left leg and left hand are weaker every day and he seems to have little awareness of them. For example, his left leg will fall off the bed and hang there and he is not aware of it. Or he tries to raise his left hand to his face and can't quite get it that far, or if he can, he doesn't have control of it... he might be trying to scratch his nose, but instead he hits himself in the eye.

Stinson arrived home late yesterday afternoon. The last time Stinson saw Wayne, everything was normal, so there had been dramatic change physically and it hit Stinson pretty hard. It was an emotional time for the two of them. Stinson will be in town until Sunday and will be spending all the time with Wayne that he can. Just knowing Stinson was coming gave Wayne new energy yesterday.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Dean,

I am a friend of Kennedy & Brantley's and your niece is my roomate at Baylor. All three of them are so special and have touched my life in a significant way - even shaped my faith even. I have never met you but I heard some great stories. When they talk about you their faces light up. My roomate Jenny was recounting the time you were here in waco with kennedy at the hospital - and her and carrie showed up in 80's prom dresses to cheer Kennedy up..a little embarrassed b/c they didn't know you'd be there and then you were so welcoming you didn't even comment on how kooky they were dressed. Your sons have meant so much to me during my Baylor experience and in these formittable years. Brantley has never ceased to challenge me with questions that have shaped me and help me make my faith my own. Kennedy has meant a lot to me as a friend and we've shared a LOT of good laughs. Ask him about the Tennessee trip last year:) My family and I are praying for you and your family during this time.

Mallory

10/28/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne,

Although we have never met, I know much about you from my daughter Lizzie and wife Melanie whom you met in August. As a father I also know how much you care for your sons and wish to see them grown into adulty men, full of grace and the love of Jesus Christ. I pray daily for you, your sons - especially Brantley - and your wife. I cannot fathom the thoughts that you have, nor the emotions that must be yours, but I do care about you and your family.

Strength and peace is my prayer for you, and a wish that you can enjoy the day of the Lord.

Cliff Fortenberry

10/28/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Mr. Dean!

I'm a fairly recently-made friend of Brantley's here in Waco. He invited me to help him and several others to start a new Life Group at Calvary Baptist Church, and we've shared a meal or two getting to know each other. I've been very impressed by him and his obvious faith. But I think I've learned more about him from reading his emails about you and your family during this time of crisis. In addition to being an excellent writer, he has the rare ability to share his vulnerability and pain with his friends, often in a profound way.

I think that you and Mrs. Dean must be pretty amazing parents to have produced such amazing children. Everyone in Brantley's wide circle of friends is praying hard for you all, as well as many, many in the Calvary congregation. God bless and Godspeed. "His will be done. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else."

Mike Jones, Waco

10/28/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Wayne, Jennifer and your precious sons,

Again, I have read your words -Jennifer - that you have available each day and I am thankful God brought you into my life many years ago at East Side Baptist Church in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. I will never forget your talk, your wonderful presence and your kindness to me.

Through all of your words that we read, one can't help but be humbled and brought to their knees. There is no way for the human mind to comprehend what is going on in your lives. No way. We can only be "Fueled by Faith" and continue to "Trust and Obey" as the beautiful old hymn says.

When we found out in March of 2000 that our precious son, Rob, who is now 26 years old - has an eye disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa - we thought we would die. Rob can eventually go blind. Jennifer Rothschild has the same eye disease. Rob has already lost some of his vision. He is a hiker, loves to ride his bike, loves to hunt and fish - just loves God's beautiful nature. Many times I ask - "Why Rob, Lord? Not him please. I don't understand." You know, it even helps to write these words to each of you because with what you are going through, you have the understanding of this pain in our lives.

Please know that I care - Melinda cares and many folks connected with MDOP care. We are praying and praying some more for all of you. You are on our hearts and we can't help but pray for you.

May you feel God's beautiful presence today in a very special way.

1 Cor. 13:13 - "There are three things that will endure-faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love." Just reading these beautiful thoughts that others are sending you is the reason I send this verse to you. It seems like a verse that describes your family.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

With Love, Prayers and Deep Concern,

Kathy Coleman

10/29/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer, we have just this morning Oct. 30 read your most recent report on the interviews about your book and update on Wayne's condition. Of course we can't identify with you altogether from experience but our hearts are touched with what you share. Our prayers are with you day after day. God bless! O.V & Janice

10/30/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home