Friday, October 28, 2005

Fueled by Faith

About a month before "the day that everything changed," the day we got the diagnosis of Wayne's condition, my newest book was relelased. So during all of this, I am in the middle of a book launch. How interesting that my new book is called Fueled by Faith.

I did my first of many radio interview about the book on the very day that we learned the bad news, sandwiched between the neuroligist and the neurosurgeon. It was a show out of Portland, OR. The last question the interviewer asked me was, "And what is God teaching you about faith today?"

In the book, my premise is that we are living in a faith lab. Every day, we take what we think we know about faith and put it to the test. Every day affords the opportunity to apply the reality of faith with a new set of variables in place. Faith never changes, but the circumstances in which it is applied change in the blink of an eye.

Every day as I do radio interviews or am bing interviewed for articles, or as I speak to audiences at engagements scheduled long in advance, I am talking to myself. I am hearing out of my own mouth the things God has taught me over my lifetime and is reminding me of on a daily basis. I am able to speak confidently about the truth that life is fueled by faith.

Here is an excerpt from my book. When I wrote these words, our current situation was not even on my radar screen. But this is what I am talking about to people all over the country every day. God has impeccable timing.


Let’s listen to the apostle Paul: “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength”(Phil. 4:11-13).

Paul had learned a secret. This secret caused him to live every moment of every day in a state of contentment. He had learned it by experience., not in theory. He had learned that the unchanging presence of God satisfied him. It is the same when God allowed adversity in his life as when God supernaturally intervened to circumvent difficulties. All the same.

Let me explain what I think Paul discovered. It starts with realizing how our human nature works. We are all busy trying to arrange outward events in such a way that they will produce inner contentment—a sense of safety, of being loved, of satisfaction. If this would happen, or if that would go away, or if this would change, or if that would stay the same…. Then we would have the inner contentment. So we think.

Paul had learned that it’s not what God does, but who God is that produces contentment. What happens on the outside of him did not add to or subtract from his inner rest. How did he know such a wonderful thing? He learned it. How did he learn it? He learned how to be content when he was in need by being in need. How did he learn how to be content while being hungry? He learned by being hungry.

Paul’s faith was focused on God, not on an outcome in any given circumstance. Faith knows that God is working toward an outcome that is beyond anything that we could ask or imagine. Faith is future focused. "Future focused” describes a person who is so fully focused on the goal that he is blind to the discouragements along the way, oblivious to the bumps in the road. Faith keeps its eyes on God, who is definitely moving all circumstances in a forward direction, bringing to completion a good and loving work. When He allows difficulties to come into your experience, you can be sure that He is doing something beneficial by means of them and He is doing something He could not accomplish without that very challenge. His plans are always for your benefit. His plans are always well thought out long, long in advance. Let me remind you something about God: He is very smart.

(From Fueled by Faith by Jennifer Kennedy Dean)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dean family,

This is Brett Gibson, one of Brantley's roommates from college. I just learned about Wayne's condition. Know that my wife Christina and I are praying for you here in Boulder, CO. I love you guys so much and am dedicated to praying for you. I'm encouraged by your words and pray you continue to experience the God of all comfort (2 Cor. 1.3-4).

Peace,
Brett

10/28/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne,
As I read the comments that have been posted I am touched to tears as I realize how many lives you and Jenni and the boys have touched. Your faith inspires my own.
As we pray for your physical healing it becomes more apparent that that may not be what God has in mind. If that be the case I ponder not only the lives you have touched in life but the many you are touching in death. God has used you, my brother, to touch my heart in the last couple of weeks like it hasn't been touched before. You have run and are running the good race. God truly has a good and faithful servant in you.
I love you, cuz
Mitch

10/28/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Wayne,

I love you... and I'm so glad that I got to give you a huge hug and tell you how much I care about you. After reading all the comments you've gotten on here (from all over the world, no less)... it's very clear that SO many people feel the same way. I remember when, during an FC meeting my freshman year, Brantley and Kennedy both talked about the "aroma of Christ"... basically meaning that the greatest testament to God's love isn't in the effort we put forth to tell others about Jesus... it's in the special "something" that exudes from a person who has the Joy of Jesus down in their heart. You, uncle wayne, have got the Aroma of Christ radiating from every inch of you. I think it's safe to say that every person you have met has been made better... just by knowing you, and the joy and hope that you've found in Christ. All of these people who have commented, called, visited, or written articles about you would attest to that.
I love you.

10/28/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne and family,

This is difficult even for us who know you only briefly. When I see Wayne Dean, I see a big smile. I see a man interested in sharing his zeal for life. I know him as a proud father. That's where we bonded - being dads and talking about our children. As many others have shared... I'm encouraged by your strength. A Peace seems to permeate this whole thing. Debbie, Shelby and I have been praying and will continue to lift you up.

His Peace and Blessings,
Mike,
Debbie
& Shelby McGhee

10/28/2005  
Blogger SLHutchens said...

Jenny and Wayne,
I am a lifelong friend of Amy's and I met the two of you a couple of times, the most recent being at Stinson's state football game last year. Amy just told me about what is happening in your lives and my first response was pity and sadness, but after reading your blog I am truly inspired by your story. Your faith is an inspiration to us all, and I cannot even imagine the ways that God is using, and will continue to use, your lives for His glory. I will be praying for y'all.
-Leigh Browning

10/28/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Wayne,

Jennifer, I met you briefly at the Imagine conference in Sacramento close to two years ago. Now a friend has forwarded an email of yours to me, and I have been keeping up with your blog for 3 days, and will continue to keep reading and praying.

When I first heard about Wayne, my human heart hurt. As I started reading your blog, my spiritual heart started rejoicing with you about God's goodness, greatness, love, mercy, protection, guidance, care, concern, and grace.

A previous pastor of mine, Richard Strauss, died of cancer in the early 1990s. He was my pastor and a friend, so I was able to watch him closely during that time. It was amazing to watch how he and his wife handled all the "bumps" that occured during that time. I feel I am reliving that time as I read your blog. He and his wife showed me then, as you and Wayne are now, how to die. Just like we are to live. Praising God and looking to Him for everything we need.

I am praying for the two of you and your entire family during this incredable time of your life on this earth. Richard Strauss's wife had this comment about his cancer: "God has given us many adventures in our lives, and this just happens to be the biggest so far."

Thank you for your encouagement through sharing this time with your family, friends, and me.

Vic Rauch
Sacramento, CA

10/28/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne,

I am a recent friend of Brantley's. Though starting undergrad at Baylor at the same time, our paths didn't cross until we started our grad work here.
I have been blessed, challenged, and encouraged by my friendship with Brantley! He is a man of Godly character and insightful questions who genuinely cares about people! Thank you for your investment in your children; your legacy is carried on through them!
Please know that people, like myself, whom you have never met have been influenced by you through the impact of your children and are praying for you!
My prayer is for supernatural grace and the perfect peace that passes all understanding to guide you and your family in this time.

Josh Kusch

10/29/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first moved to Hlue Springs I was lost. Wayne helped me ralize what a small world it was. During our Bomber basketball days I would sit and Yak with Wayne. I found out that he was from Alabama and had applied to my family business when he was younger. Wayne had a way of finding his commonality with you. Later we joked about how close Max and Stinson were since Stinson would reach between Max's Crotch. (Max was his center in high school.) We have great memories of Stinson. Halloweens, senior year, football. I am proud to know Stinson. You know that his folks are quality if they have a son like him. So we will think of Wayne with as many possitive vibes as possible. May God watch over you, Tom, Nancy, Natalie, Max, Laura and Derek Schneider

10/29/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne and Jennifer,
Just a note to let you know that we are praying for your family here at Brantley's church, Calvary Baptist Church of Waco. You are all handling a terrible situation with grace and courage and we are standing with you and with Brantley before God.
Sharyn Dowd
Ministry Associate for Neighborhood Outreach
Calvary Baptist Church
Waco, Texas

10/29/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home