Continued Improvement
Wayne continues to improve from the effects the brain mass is causing in his body. I say it that way because the cancer is not improving. It continues its steady march. But the symptoms that Wayne has to deal with are improving as he learns how to retrain his brain, bringing other areas in to make up for the areas that are no longer functioning.
The brain is a fascinating thing. It is so specialized in its function. Wayne's brain does not know it has a left side. There is nothing wrong with his left leg or his left hand, but his brain is not sending the signals to activate them, so it is as if his left hand and leg were damaged. However, through physical therapy, he is learning how to compensate. He has to consciously remember that he has a left side and he has to deliberately think about where that left leg should be or how the left hand should work. Slowly, other parts of his brain are taking up the slack and his left side is starting to work without quite so much effort on his part. He can now walk very well with his walker, but he will forget which direction to turn to get where he is going. He can even walk without the walker by holding on to walls and furniture (this for balance more than for strength), but the reason he walks without the walker is because he forgets he needs it.
Some parts of his brain are working well, and others are not. Right now he is on the phone having a discussion with the insurance company. He is perfectly cogent and knows all the intricacies of his insurance coverage and is making reasoned statements. But he probably will forget or misremember anything that has to do with numbers or dates. He is likely to remember the name of whomever he spoke with, but might forget what she told him.
Right now, he is pretty mobile and much more independent than he has been for several weeks. We are in a good time... probably a reprieve before the next effects begin. We are enjoying this day and not worrying about what the next day will bring. This kind of living is what Jesus had in mind when He said, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matt 6:34). How silly to add tomorrow's issues to today's activity. How wasteful to miss the pleasure of today because tomorrow might have new challenges in it. We have learned that when the trouble arrives, the grace to deal with it comes along with it. When you worry about it and anticipate it, the grace to handle it is missing. But when it comes, then comes strength. Grace meets you where you stand.
"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it"(Ps 118:24). This day. This very day. God has made it-- He has scheduled it and arranged it and fit it together hour by hour and minute by minute. I will rejoice in THIS day and in every detail God has placed into it.
The brain is a fascinating thing. It is so specialized in its function. Wayne's brain does not know it has a left side. There is nothing wrong with his left leg or his left hand, but his brain is not sending the signals to activate them, so it is as if his left hand and leg were damaged. However, through physical therapy, he is learning how to compensate. He has to consciously remember that he has a left side and he has to deliberately think about where that left leg should be or how the left hand should work. Slowly, other parts of his brain are taking up the slack and his left side is starting to work without quite so much effort on his part. He can now walk very well with his walker, but he will forget which direction to turn to get where he is going. He can even walk without the walker by holding on to walls and furniture (this for balance more than for strength), but the reason he walks without the walker is because he forgets he needs it.
Some parts of his brain are working well, and others are not. Right now he is on the phone having a discussion with the insurance company. He is perfectly cogent and knows all the intricacies of his insurance coverage and is making reasoned statements. But he probably will forget or misremember anything that has to do with numbers or dates. He is likely to remember the name of whomever he spoke with, but might forget what she told him.
Right now, he is pretty mobile and much more independent than he has been for several weeks. We are in a good time... probably a reprieve before the next effects begin. We are enjoying this day and not worrying about what the next day will bring. This kind of living is what Jesus had in mind when He said, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matt 6:34). How silly to add tomorrow's issues to today's activity. How wasteful to miss the pleasure of today because tomorrow might have new challenges in it. We have learned that when the trouble arrives, the grace to deal with it comes along with it. When you worry about it and anticipate it, the grace to handle it is missing. But when it comes, then comes strength. Grace meets you where you stand.
"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it"(Ps 118:24). This day. This very day. God has made it-- He has scheduled it and arranged it and fit it together hour by hour and minute by minute. I will rejoice in THIS day and in every detail God has placed into it.


6 Comments:
What a wonderful message to begin our day!! I so look foreard to your posts Jennie, and your subject, my brother Wayne!!! Yes this is the Lord's day and lets rejoice and be glad!! Our love and prayers all day long are with all of you!!! xoxoxoxoxoxo faye p.s. SEE YOU SOON.
Wayne,
I was reading (for the second time) one of your "theologians" books early today...Riches Stored in Secret Places. What I read was written years ago, and you two are now living it out in such a God honoring way. You do know "the Riches"! :-)
Love you guys,
Allen and Brenda
Mr. Dean,
I had a chance to meet with Stinson last week and he gave me the address to your site. I am so encouraged by your testimony of God's peace and joy. Your son is a great individual and I know he really has a lot of respect for you as a father, man of God, and friend; things that young men need and desire from their fathers and yet so many are without. Thanks for your encouragement. Respectfully and prayerfully - Aaron Frude -Laramie WY,Fellowship of Christian Athletes
Thank you so much, Jennie, for the postings. It keeps us informed about Wayne's condition since he is on our minds so much during these days. Let him know his old classmate is thinking about him and praying for him and for the whole family. I hope that I will have the opportunity to speak with him soon by phone if that would be a possibility. You have a wonderful guy there and he is so blessed to have a wonderful Christian family that loves him so much. Stay strong in the Lord; you are an inspiration to so many. God is using you to spread His message through this difficult time. Tell Wayne that our daughter, Holly, is John Carter's new teacher at Vance (his great grandmother Alma is thrilled and so am I)!
Love in Christ,
Susan Loftin
Wayne and Jennifer,
I have been away for a few days. Went to St. Louis, Wayne, for Development Conference and heard a good report from Stephen Mathis and Jim Smith. We prayed for you and missed you much.
The MBCH new building is nice but I would have designed it differently. It doesn't blend in very well with the existing buildings. But, what do I know?
Frank and I went camping then for a couple of days to Lawrence and ate in a Thai restaurant. Frank is recovering from prostate cancer surgery which he had on October 10. He is doing well.
I'm sure the Lord is leading you, Jennifer, right nicely with your schedule. I'm one who can pray with you about that. I did a lot of traveling with Home Mission Board for about 6 years doing World Missions Conferences, etc. I know how folks schedule you and depend on you. I know you'll have a wonderful Holiday season there at home together, good times to look forward to.
Sandy Woodside
Wayne and Jennifer,
I have been away for a few days. Went to St. Louis, Wayne, for Development Conference and heard a good report from Stephen Mathis and Jim Smith. We prayed for you and missed you much.
The MBCH new building is nice but I would have designed it differently. It doesn't blend in very well with the existing buildings. But, what do I know?
Frank and I went camping then for a couple of days to Lawrence and ate in a Thai restaurant. Frank is recovering from prostate cancer surgery which he had on October 10. He is doing well.
I'm sure the Lord is leading you, Jennifer, right nicely with your schedule. I'm one who can pray with you about that. I did a lot of traveling with Home Mission Board for about 6 years doing World Missions Conferences, etc. I know how folks schedule you and depend on you. I know you'll have a wonderful Holiday season there at home together, good times to look forward to.
Sandy Woodside
Post a Comment
<< Home