Monday, November 07, 2005

Today's Visit With Neurologist

We had a good and uplifting visit with our neurologist, Dr Park.

You know, every day we have to hear hard words. We have to hear "no cure," and "your final days," and "might add a month or two to your life." The incredible peace that comes to us as a gift from God in spite of ourselves is there always, forming a barrier of sorts from the full-force of the blows. But still, we hear hard words.

Today we got to hear encoruaging words. The details of the disease haven't changed, but Dr Park is a fellow-believer and we get to talk to him through the filter of our hope and confidence in Christ.

He was so encouraged at Wayne's progress using and controlling his left hand and leg. He has made amazing progress. His brain does not know it has a left hand or leg, but when he thinks consciously about how to move them and where they are supposed to be at any given moment, he can use them some. The fact that he can do that now indicates that the surgery has given him some reprieve from symptoms. The surgery is called "debulking" because their goal is to reduce the "bulk" of the cancer as much as possible. So it seems that Wayne has been "debulked" with some success.

Wayne had been considering forgoing treatment at all, since the possibility of treatment making a significant difference is very remote. He was thinking that he wanted to avoid spending his final days (see? hard words.) sick and weak from treatment. We asked the Lord to use Dr Park to confirm our direction or re-direct our thinking. Dr Park said that, while 90% of cases will not be helped by the treatment, 10% will respond and will have as much as two months added to their lives. He said that the new chemo that Wayne will be taking usually does not produce side effects and that radiation treatments have come a long way in the last several years. He reminded us that Wayne can't be in the 10% if he doesn't try treatment. He can always stop the treatment if he decides it is not worth the effects. So we both felt encouraged to at least start it and see how it goes.

Dr Park prayed with us and we asked for God's wisdom, and we will trust that He is giving it to us.

Dr Park has written a book about his experience of coming to Christ. A skeptic and a successful neurosurgeon, Dr Park came to a place in his life where money and position and success were not enough. He embarked on a search to fill the emptiness in his life and found Jesus waiting for him. You can order his book from amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1892525984/qid=1131414919/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl14/103-4032640-5647058?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Last piece of information. This may be more technical than you want to know, so feel free to skip this paragraph! Wayne's pathology report showed a little oddity. A glioblastoma is cancer in the glia cells of the brain. These are the connective cells. But Wayne's also has some activity in the neuronal cells-- the functional cells. They see this sometimes in younger glioblastoma patients, but it is very rare in older patients. This might make it more responsive to treatment... then again, it might make it less responsive. No way to know. Except to try and see what happens.

So next week or so we will start the treatments and see what happens.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Wayne - God's Spirit is our Encourager - we thank Him for good words and hard words - all of them are for your good ultimately. Thank you for the blogs - they are a great way for us to stay in touch and know how to pray specifics without having to invade your precious time with family. I just know that every day of life is a gift and your days are special gifts so you can touch just one more life for Jesus before He calls you home. We are loving on you from Colorado! Jeanne and Dale Parrott

11/08/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne, I don't know if you are the Wayne Dean I knew back in the mid 80s'that I bowled against at Strike & Spare on 40 Hwy but your story is such a great faith builder to others. I will pray for your continue progress. You sound so much like the Wayne I knew. Bless you and your family. Ernie Crews

11/08/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer,
I have hesitated to write because I know yu are inundated, and I can get carried away..... and I will be seeing you on Friday... they have invited me to join you for lunch. I know I will have an opportunity to share then. I also had an idea... I would like to address the group at some time and promote or give recommendation for your books (I've led classes in three). What do you think? You can tell me on Friday... But I'll be prepared if you will give me the honor of sharing their importance in my life. I can do it in 5 mins but may run a little over. I have impressive examples of how God has ministered to lives through your writings. I'm such a fan!
Love,
Barb Gephart

11/09/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne and Jennifer,
I hope you got the message I left on your answering machine before Wayne's surgery. We've never had to experience what you are experiencing at this time, but we've had our share of trials, and through it all, we have had a multitude of God's people walking with us and encouraging us. We count it a privilege to be among those that will walk with you through these days in prayer, as I know that you have done for us in the past. Thanks for the blog so that we can know how to pray. We love you.
May our Father continue to provide all your needs until that day when He calls us home! Oh what a day of rejoicing that will be!!!
With much love,
Claire (Biggs) and Grady Milstead
Missionaires to Argentina

11/09/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
I am praying for Wayne, you and the boys. I am amazed at your peace and know that God definitely is strong when we are weak and His grace is sufficient. I'm just so glad that God has eternal eyesight, and I pray that today your family will see through God's eyes. I'm so glad God knows the bigger picture, and we can rest in His sovereignty.
Much Love and Many Blessings,
Jennifer Long

11/09/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dean Family, I just heard Wednesday night about Wayne and you all have been in our prayers. We know the wonderful powerful Grace of our Lord and Savior. Hayward is also going through Chemo treatments for small cell lung cancer. We know that all the studies show Hayward's type of cancer is "very bad" and life expectancy short...but we know the power of our loving God. Everyone should realize that each day is a very precious gifts from God. You are a wonderful testimony to God’s spirit and Blessings working through you. The hardest thing to do in this world is to turn over any given situation to God to handle…but know that you are in His loving arms and He is in control. You are in our prayers... God's peace and strength to your entire family… From the Ray Family...Hayward, Loretto, Byron, Jesse and Arron

11/09/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne and Jennifer,

I am writing from Paducah,KY. The conference on Saturday was wonderful! It was so uplifting to be a part of each of your sessions.
Jennifer, I introduced myself at the end of the conference and mentioned a student at my school who was diagnosed with Glioblastoma Multiforme in March of this year. He is 10 years old in the 5th grade. He has a website that has updates on his condition and his story. His mother, Stacy, gave me permission to pass it along to you. It is tannercox.com. It is a wonderful website. As you are going through this difficult time, please pray for Tanner and his family. I have asked them to pray for you.
I am keeping both of you and your boys in my daily prayers.

11/09/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home