Sunday, November 13, 2005

Full Speed Ahead!

I am home from my last speaking engagement of the year. I had a wonderful time in Pennsylvania, where I was well cared for. I don't know how much I gave them, but they certainly gave me much comfort and encouragement. At the end of the 2-day event, they presented me with a "prayer shawl." As they knit it, they pray for the person for whom they are making it (in this case, me!). So when I wrap myself in the shawl, I am covered with their prayers. I'm wearing it now.

Wayne is still making great strides. He can even go up and down stairs. Right now, he is really pretty independent again. This morning, Kennedy took him out for breakfast with his sister Faye and her family before they left town. He had a great time seeing them. He loved seeing his adult niece and nephew and the next generations of nieces and nephews. He hasn't stopped talking about it.

We still don't have a date for beginning treatment. They are still puzzling over his odd pathology and deciding what that means in terms of how to treat it.

Wayne does not have a brain tumor. Let me explain the distinction. There are some cancers that begin somewhere in the body and spread to the brain in the form of tumors. There are some tumors that begin in the brain and can spread to other parts of the body. A tumor is a mass that is "not brain" taking up space and displacing brain.

Wayne's brain cancer begins in the brain and does not spread to any other part of the body. It is not a tumor, but instead his brain cells are dying. It is called "necrosis." This cancer is a deterioration of the brain cells themselves. So there is no tumor to remove. Although the literature refers to tumors, it is not precisely true.

I know you all enjoy my biology lessons!

Other news:

Brantley has arranged with his professors to finish his semester long-distance. He will be driving home from Baylor (where he will finish his masters degree this spring) tomorrow, Monday. I will have both Kennedy and Brantley at home until January. How great is that.

My sister, Priscilla, will be coming this week to help me get my house put back together before Thanksgiving. With Priscilla here, we can count on lots of belly-laughs. Laughing revs up your immune system. Really! "A joyful heart is good medicine" (Prov. 17:22). So if you hear odd sounds coming from the Dean house this week, it is probably our loud, obnoxious, honking laughter.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer ...
Know that you gave us much at your last speaking engagement! You presented a feast and we stuffed our souls full of the things of God. Our appetites are healthy and we hunger for more. Thank you for being faithful to the Planner of Your Schedule and giving that precious time to us. Know that you, Wayne, your family and all involved in Wayne's care and treatment are being prayed for faithfully. How great is our God. Praying and not losing heart, Deb Weaver (WDAC)

11/13/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jennifer, did you ever bring us wonderful blessings and insight!!! Thank you so much for coming to Pennsylvania. I learned so much and now I have a pile of your books on my desk waiting to be enjoyed and digested and hopefully shared with friends who didn't get to hear you in person.

Thank you, Wayne, for sharing her with us. You have a whole new cadre of prayer partners joining those already lifting you and your family up to our wonderful, loving God.
Laura Sawyer

11/13/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne, it was great seeing you tonight. I wasn't sure how I would deal with seeing you in pain but you being the person that you are made it very easy to act normal. It is so awesome to see that you still have your awesome personality. I was talking to Stinson tonight and we were talking about how at peace you are with everything. I can definitely see that in your life and I don't know if I would be able to handle it like that. You encourage me to grow closer to Christ and I don't even think you know it. You are such an awesome influence to me, and all of Stinson's friends...including his lost friends! I know this isn't supposed to be this long but the way you are dealing with things makes me want to become more like Christ as I become more like you. I will not give up on you and I know you won't give up. on all the people who care about you. Jesus has performed many things even greater than this and I will never put this one past him. Sorry for the length of this but you are awesome! Have a good rest of the week and I will pray for you and the family as you enter chemo therapy and radiation.
-Danny Malone

11/13/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne, on Saturday we were able to spend some time up in Laramie with Stinson and Stephanie. The Pokes lost but we always enjoy watching them play. It was very cold but not as cold as the Utah game last year. Remember that?! Brrrr! You have raised a very nice young, Godly man and he has been a blessing in Stephanie's life. Our whole family enjoys being around Stinson and we always leave with a smile on our face. I suspect he gets some of that humor from you. We will pray for lots of healing laughter as you go through the holidays with friends and family. May all the prayers being sent up for you surround you, and wrap you up in God's loving arms. I loved hearing about the "prayer shawl" that Jennifer received. Makes me want to take up knitting!

11/13/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I'm so glad the traveling is behind you for a few months, so that you can relax and enjoy your family during the holidays. I am still floating from the wonderful experience we all had with you, Priscilla and Mandisa a couple of weekends ago. Give Priscilla a big hug from me and have her give one back to you from me. I love keeping up with you through this blog and am so grateful to God that Wayne is doing so well. I have been very blessed to have had you in my life even for so short a time. I hope Thanksgiving with your family will be uplifting and full of God's marvelous grace. I know it will be full of laugther with Priscilla there. Among my many blessing, I will give thanks for your nurturing presence in my life. Love, Jackie Stonecipher

11/14/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne, ditto to what Sandy Woodside said recently re the recent meeting of the MBDC in St. Louis. We indeed prayed for you, and the meeting wasn't quite the same without your being there.

Love to you and yours,
Steve Whisler

11/14/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Wayne,
Blessings and prayers from Pennsylvania. Oh, how Jennifer blessed us this past weekend. Thank you, thank you, Wayne, for sharing her with us. I'm glad to read that Thanksgiving will find the Dean house filled with family and laughter. I hope to hear the sounds all the way up to PA. As a cancer survivor myself, I'm a firm believer in laughter and hug medicine and, of course, lots of prayer. Your family is on my prayer board posted on the fridge, where fortunately for my prayer life but not for my figure, I seem to be near a lot. Dee Porterfield (WOW Merrymakers)

11/14/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne Buddy,

So when do I get to meet those boys you've talked about so much? I missed Stinson after the Air Force game, but now maybe I'll get the opportunity to see all of them sometime soon.

Good news concerning your mobility, keep it up...whatever you've been doing to get this far, that is.

Jacque and I continue to lift you and your family up in prayer. Being one of your numerous friends over the past couple of years has been a blessing for us.

Jennifer, wrap that new prayer shawl around Dean and the boys as you continue abiding in the bond of love within your family unit.

Tom Flint aka "The General"

PS: Go Falcons & Cowboys!

11/14/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I had all the great "words" to express what a wonderful, BLESSED, awesome,exciting, week-end we had with --my brother Wayne, brother-in-law, Uncle, Great Uncle and just plain ole friend!!!!!! It was truly a "perfect" time, weather, food, love, football--cheering Stinson when we got a glimpse of him, lots of hugging, kissing and a few tears but all in the name of love. What a wonderful son Kennedy has been, just knowing what his dad needs, Stinson and Brantley are the same, they just weren't there, we missed them along with wonderful Jennie who is a wonderful wife and mother, and "sister" by mnarriage. Our continued prayer is for Wayne to be held in the Lord's healing arms!! I also pray for his wonderful family, his sisters, and family members who love him so very much. We all made it back to Texas at different times and travel modes but we would have had it no other way, seeing Wayne, Uncle Wayne and Great Uncle Wayne was most important!!!!! Love forever and always xoxoxoxoxo sister faye

11/14/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A cool greeting from Colorado, but hearts are warmed to hear of the wondrous progress Wayne makes each day, even doing stairs, that's more than I can do very well.(*.*) I feel prayers are being answered through the unexpected healing that has come to Wayne. I belong to the Crossings Book Club and I recently tried to order more books of "Fueled by Faith" to share with friends and family and was told they were sold out for now....it must be a hit and of course with all the extra care streaming towards your family, it is that much more meaningful. I hope you know how bright you make the day with your insight to God's Word, Jennifer, with the simple beauty of expressing your thoughts...thank you. I enjoyed being part of the gathering in Laramie Saturday. Neil and Colton will be cheering the Cowboys on at San Diego and hopefully Stinson will see some playing time. Continued Blessings for all the Dean's.....hugs, Helen Grandbouche

11/14/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne, the arrival of your Kentucky "nurse" has been delayed due to high winds, rain, hail, and my intense fear of driving through tornados. I will be there by noon tomorrow and look forward to taking care of you as only a make-believe nurse can do....I do need to make clear from the start I don't give sponge baths or enemas!

I love you and can't wait to give you a big hug!
Pris

11/15/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny and Pris,
I wish I could hear your laughter. It has been so many years since I have seen the two of you together. In fact, Jenny, it was at your wedding. I wish you a long happy visit. Pris, reading your comments reminded me how little I know about you! I only remember locking you out of Jenny's room while we rolled our hair and giggled.
Enjoy your visit. I know your laughter will bless Wayne,
Jenn James

11/16/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home