Mom's Shift
I get to sit quietly with Wayne this morning. He seems to be asleep right now and is sleeping comfortably and breathing easily. I was just reading Kennedy's post and I was thinking about our family conversation last night.
Last night Wayne began to be responsive again. I sat by him in the bed and held his hand and the boys sat around his bed. We talked and Wayne would squeeze his response, and I would pass it on. We really had a pretty good idea about what he was responding, even though it was a sparse form of communication. The reason is that we had hours and hours and years and years of previous conversations and we have history and intimacy. So a hand-squeeze can speak volumes. We knew exactly how his voice would sound if he spoke what his squeeze was meant to say. We could hear him without hearing him.
Someone else might have held Wayne's hand and felt his squeeze, but would not be able to "hear his voice" in that squeeze because the relationship is missing. The intimacy is missing. How valuable, in retrospect, are the many conversations over the years-- some long and intense, but most were conversations as we lived our lives, on the go, in the context of the moment. Now all woven together into a masterpiece of love.
I thought this morning about how God is always talking to us, always communicating in little ways. If we have history and intimacy with Him, if we have spent time carefully listening to Him, then we will be hearing from Him continually. Because of our intimacy with Him, we will experience the squeeze of His hand as our rests in His. We will feel His little nudges and see the twinkle in His eye. Volumes of communication can be expressed in a nano-second. We can hear His voice.
Last night Wayne began to be responsive again. I sat by him in the bed and held his hand and the boys sat around his bed. We talked and Wayne would squeeze his response, and I would pass it on. We really had a pretty good idea about what he was responding, even though it was a sparse form of communication. The reason is that we had hours and hours and years and years of previous conversations and we have history and intimacy. So a hand-squeeze can speak volumes. We knew exactly how his voice would sound if he spoke what his squeeze was meant to say. We could hear him without hearing him.
Someone else might have held Wayne's hand and felt his squeeze, but would not be able to "hear his voice" in that squeeze because the relationship is missing. The intimacy is missing. How valuable, in retrospect, are the many conversations over the years-- some long and intense, but most were conversations as we lived our lives, on the go, in the context of the moment. Now all woven together into a masterpiece of love.
I thought this morning about how God is always talking to us, always communicating in little ways. If we have history and intimacy with Him, if we have spent time carefully listening to Him, then we will be hearing from Him continually. Because of our intimacy with Him, we will experience the squeeze of His hand as our rests in His. We will feel His little nudges and see the twinkle in His eye. Volumes of communication can be expressed in a nano-second. We can hear His voice.


6 Comments:
Jennifer, you are amazing me and teaching me. It's not always easy to "live" each day as hard things come across our paths. But, you are teaching me (again) to cherish each frustrating moment with those that I love and hold close to my heart. You are also teaching me how to find God in everything that touches my life. You are teaching me how to make sure that when the time comes for me to let go of those that I love, that I know how to do it WITH GOD holding my hand. You are teaching me more and more about life and my God.
I don't know who sent the blog comment about their children being in junior high with your boys but it broke my heart to hear of this mother's pain over the years and how God is using your walk with Wayne and his cancer and every word that you write to soften her heart again to the things of God. I know God knows her name and her need......amazing that He chose to use your walk for her.....now I will pray that God ministers peace and a renewed love for Him to her life and her family. I pray that God uses this to restore her children to Himself.
Nothing we experience is wasted in God's economy - He uses everything for His glory - even our pain.
God Bless you today, my most precious friend. We sit with you in spirit and love.
Jeanne Parrott
Jennifer,
I just read your last two posts to my family just now. It took me a long time to get through as I was fighting back tears the whole time...
It is so touching to talk about what you are going through. My oldest daughter came by this morning and listened and wept with me. She was in High School at the time...the other two were 7 and 11 we still remember vividly our own time of Mark's brain tumor.
Yesterday was Communion Sunday and God reminded me all throughout of you and your family.
He is so faithful...
love kerri
May God continue to provide you all with peace and with sweetness in your time together. your transparency and authenticity is much appreciated and valued by many. mlf
I continue to be amazed at the insight the Father gives you on and on--what a blessing to us who have the pviliege to listen in. This post such a reminder to cherish every conversation and every happening in our lives so that we will truly know each other more intimately. And to do the same with our Father. Thank you.
Even through these heart wrenching moments--as you know these days will be cherished reminders of the love you share and the faithfulness of the Father.
May He continue to hold each of you in His constant care and we KNOW HE will.
With love,
Kay Walker
Jennifer, Thank you for taking precious time to keep us updated on how things are going with you, Wayne, and your sons. It is sooo evident that the Lord continues to be at work in and through your lives in a multitude of ways. Please know that prayers continue to be with you all along this journey through the valley. May God's will be done to His glory.
In His love,
Kat
Wayne has been on my mind throughout the night watches - I have been praying as the Lord woke me up.
This is on my heart and mind this morning: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden in light." Matt. 11:28-30
I recently heard a very wise woman say, "anything we give (relinquish, lay at the altar, crucify) to God we don't lose. He gives it back to us in its resurrection form." :)
I know the letting go is hard, but the selfless choice of letting go (as Abraham did in Gen. 13 when he allowed Lot to choose the land) produces eternal gain. The temporary loss of the plain of the Jordan for Abraham was a "letting go". But God told him to "lift up your eyes...all the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring forever." (Gen. 13:14-15)
So his temporary loss was rewarded by God with a giving back of what he gave up and then more. Don't you just love God's plans? Yes, what we give to Him, we don't lose.
Blessings this early morning.
Jane
Post a Comment
<< Home