Saturday, December 03, 2005

Today

Wayne is slipping away bit by bit. He is still comfortable and he is still able to squeeze our hand with his right hand to indicate responses. His breathing gets shallower and the pauses in his breathing longer. But he is still with us and he still knows when we are present with him.

His sister Faye and his brother-in-law Chuck and their children along with a nephew from Virginia spent about 2 hours with him today. They went with us to the football banquet. I had hoped to give a little more eloquent tribute to Wayne, but when I stood up and saw the sea of purple and gold and was struck with how much Wayne LOVED that environment, I was just barely able to hold onto my composure. Wayne would have known every player and every player's family. He would have been able to discuss every play of every game. He would have been moving from table to table slapping backs, cracking jokes, shaking hands, handing out compliments and distributing snapshots he had taken through the year. Instead, he was laboring to breathe, lying rag-doll-like in a bed. Stinson stepped up and bailed me out. They would rather have heard from Stinson anyway, but he is not the speech-giving type. So it was all the more touching to me when he did what he does not like to do so he could honor his dad.

May I ask you a favor? Tomorrow morning in your Sunday School classes, would you pray specifically that the completion of Wayne's healing will come without fear or distress for him? How encouraged we would be to know that God's people all over the world are simulcasting prayer for Wayne as we gather around him for our own family's worship. Thank you in advance.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider it done! What a privilege to have the Body lift Wayne up together tomorrow. How proud I'm sure Wayne is of Stinson - as you have told him about the banquet I know he hears you. Keep talking to him.

My day wouldn't be complete without sharing from Streams in the Desert with you, Jennifer :). From Dec. 3 - Today's Scripture:
"Is it well with thy husband? Is it well with the child? And she answered, It is well." 2Kings 4:26

Two precious poems:

"Be strong, my soul!
Thy loved ones go
Within the veil. God's thine, e'en so;
Be strong.

Be strong, my soul!
Death looms in view.
Lo, hear thy God! He'll bear thee through;
Be strong."


The second one:

"E'en for the dead I will not bind my soul to grief;
Death cannot long divide.
For is it not as though the rose that climbed my garden wall
Has blossomed on the other side?
Death doth hide,
But not divide;
Thou art but on Christ's other side!
Thou are with Christ, and Christ with me;
In Christ united still are we."

May you all rest in His peace tonight.

Much love, Jane

12/03/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennie,
Of course we will do as you have asked. Our prayers continue to be with the whole Dean (and extended) family.

Much love,
Betsy (Holley) Shilling

12/03/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was able to work with Wayne only a short time. But, I count it a privilege to have known briefly the compassionate, caring, spiritual man you have known as husband and father.

Any words that I could add to all the comments you have received would be redundant. Just know you are all in my prayers and have been since the beginning.

Linda Darity

12/03/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Jennifer,

As I read your post a while ago--the hymn "It is Well With My Soul" immediately came to mind. I have been praying that song for you all this evening. May all of you continue to experience this peace of which is versed in this song. In His faithfulness you will.

It is our priviledge to pray as you have ask.

With much love and continued prayers for all of you,
Kay Walker

12/03/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer, we will...Eph 3:20

12/03/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer and family.. know that our women's class will be praying for you as we have since we found out.. you and your family will continue to be in our prayers daily. I know that GOD will heal him in his way,as you said at the wonderful conference I attended.I admire your faith, courage and strength.I hope that one day I can be just as strong and as faithful as you are.Sending you ourprayers and christian love..

12/03/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will pray.

Betty Van Horn
Oklahoma

12/04/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

What an honor to pray for you in a time you need hands lifted up for you...
As I fall asleep tonight I will be praying...when I get up in the morning the Lord will remind me again. When I go through my day He will continue to bring you and your family to my heart.
How touching that your son not only honored his father but his mother too...
Be comforted knowing so many from all over have been touched by God Himself to pray and keep vigil with you...
Much love your sister in Christ,
Kerri

12/04/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer,
It has been an honor to bring you and your precious family before the throne of grace. We will certainly continue. "Jesus" is my prayer for you. Blessings, Cindy Richardson

12/04/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will be praying. Love you.

12/04/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Deans...We are praying without ceasing for all of you!!!!

In Him,
The Gilstraps

12/04/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Precious prayers went up this morning from the Karis I SS Class, First Baptist, Oxford, MS. May they be a sweet savor to the Lord in your behalf, dear Dean family.

Mary Lou Dabbs

12/04/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer, we prayed as you asked us to for Wayne this morning in my Fifth & Sixth Grade SS class. I hope this day has been one of rest and peace in the Lord as so many of your Christian friends have been praying.

Love,
Susan Loftin
Monroeville, AL

12/04/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my mother-in-law passed away in February there was one thing I wanted from the things she left behind, and it was a little card that she had kept by her sink in the kitchen. It was a picture of the statue of a large hand holding a clinging and resting child. The Scripture, "See! I will not forget you...I have carved you on the palm of my hand." Isaiah 49:15 was written beside. Yes I will pray throughout the day as the Father holds Wayne close.

Sandy Woodside

12/04/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was led to this blog by a friend who heard you speak in Raleigh, NC. You see, my mother had glioblastoma, also. I know what you are going through because I have walked though this same valley. At all times, my mother and our family experienced the peace I obviously detect in your lives. Praise God. My heart aches today just as it did 2 years, 5 months and 1 day ago when Mama lost her battle with this disease but won her eternal victory. Reading your posts are difficult for me, but we are called to rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn. It was an honor this morning in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina with the members of the SOS(Serving Our Savior) Sunday School Class of First Christian Church to approach the Father on Wayne's behalf. May you feel and know where your strength lies.

Standing in the gap,
Kimberly S. Hite

12/04/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had not checked your blog until after we returned from church, but the Holy Spirit spoke for you. I asked our SS class to remember the Dean family as they prepare to release their dear husband and Dad to his eternal home. I can only smile as I think of Wayne and all the joy and laughter he brought to those who knew him. Oh how proud he is of his family and if we were around him five minutes, he spoke with such enthusiasm of his wife and boys! I loved his spirit, his passion for those he loved and sharing that with others. Your friends in Christ,
Larry and Judie Hirschman

12/04/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home